Laser microprocessing with its numerous possibilities is applied in many fields. The applications range from direct laser cutting with high precision of very diverse materials via micro mating of different combinations of materials, like ceramic membranes involving polymers as support material, through to surface modification by laser radiation. The application of ultra-short pulse laser systems enable a highly precise processing of transparent materials at minimum thermal interference.
Laser micro cutting
- micro cutting of coated membranes
- micro cutting of Teflon masters for printing technology and microfluidic applications
- micro cutting of PDMS for the production of micro fluidics for Lab-on-a-Chip-systems
Laser micro drilling
- micro drilling of apartures of adapted optical applications, microscopy
- drilling of nozzle configurations
- drilling of hydrogels for biology
Laser micro graving
- laser micro labeling of components
- surface structuring, e.g. tribology optimizing, polishing, roughening, production of cell guide structures
- production of functional groups by laser radiation at reactive gas atmosphere
Process diagnostics with high-speed photographic technology
Ultrafast, close-up, and right now!
“Seeing is understanding” – this is the motto for Fraunhofer IWS in offering high-speed optical process analysis. Highly dynamic processes can be optically recorded not only at extreme rates – up to one million frames per second – but also microscopically close, showing features of a few tenths of microns.
Images are being made at Fraunhofer IWS of remote laser cutting, micro-laser submerged arc welding, and explosive-like ignition of reactive multilayers, for example. Process and failure diagnostics are being noticeably improved – impressive slow-motion images are being generated for public presentation.