IWS engineers utilize substantial equipment and facility installations and solid know-how to perform applied research projects in the field of micro and fine processing with laser beams. Targeted applications are the miniaturization of functional elements in machines, systems, vehicles, instruments and medical devices. Examples include the fabrication of 3D structures of sub-millimeter dimensions and areal structures on polymers, metals, ceramics and quartzite and biocompatible materials as well as cleaning with laser technology.
Based on our profound technical expertise and extensive experience with industrial customers and publically funded projects, the Fraunhofer IWS offers the following capabilities:
- Laser micro-material processing such as drilling, cutting, engraving, structuring of metal, synthetics, semi-conductors, natural substances, ceramics and thin films
- Hybrid processing "high speed micro milling and laser structuring"
- Laser cleaning and coating removal for technical and restoration applications of steel, granite, sandstone, copper, brass, rust, patina and graffiti
- Analysis of works of art through terahertz radiation
- Process diagnostics with high-speed photographic technology