Fraunhofer IWS develops innovative coating processes for customer-specific applications. Examples of current applications in battery technology are presented below:
The "Dry-transfer-electrode-coating (DRYtraec®)" process developed at Fraunhofer IWS allows a completely solvent-free fabrication and as a result an environmentally friendly and cost-saving production of battery electrodes.
Lithium thin films
2- 20 µm thick lithium films are deposited on current collector foils using a new melt coating technology. These films form the basis for various anode concepts of future battery systems with high energy density.
Thin carbon coatings are deposited on powders and flat substrates by liquid and gas phase processes (CVD) and enable:
- reduction of interfacial resistances between active material and metallic current collector
- electrically and ionically conductive encapsulation of active materials
Our range of services
- sample coatings
- development of novel property combinations
- coating adaption to customer-specific substrate materials and requirements
- system concepts and implementation into existing production lines